Tuesday, January 25, 2011

I keep things to myself.

This weekend was a rough one in my personal life.  I was thrown into a huge blur, couldn't see straight, and couldn't keep the tears from flowing.  I was home alone and had no one to turn to.  I had no one to talk to to sort out my emotions.  I was going crazy.  And a huge part of that is my fault.

I've always been the type of person to keep things to myself.  I am a very private person; I don't like to share very many details of my life with anyone -- close friends and family included.  I just never liked having others know all about me.  I have no idea why I am this way.  I realize that my doing this has isolated me from the people that are close to me.  And a part of me feels like even if I share all of me with others, they would never "get me".  I realize that I'm not even giving them a chance.  Seriously. I know. It's messed up.

Anyway I was home from work yesterday, and I don't know if it was a combination of crazy emotions running through me, or the fact that it had been over 48 hours since I had a conversation with someone that wasn't my cat,  I finally made an appearance on Twitter.  Within minutes, my sweet sweet internet friends messaged back to check and see if I was okay.  Even though I never went into detail what my issues were, it felt really nice that they were genuinely concerned for how I was doing.  They sent very encouraging words to help me get out of my dark place.  Honestly, I think they're the reason I even made it to work today.

I don't know - maybe it is because a lot of the internet can be very anonymous, but  I felt more safe sharing my emotions with these women I have never met than with anyone else.  And I really needed it. 

I just want to say thank you.   

1 comment: