Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Meal Planning & LoseIt!

BF and I have always been really good about eating healthy.  We always bring food from home to work; a hardboiled egg and a slice of toast with peanut butter for breakfast, last night's dinner leftovers for lunch (typically turkey meatloaf, or some kind of slowcooker meal), and various fruits or string cheese as a healthy mid-day snack.  But ever since jumping on the LoseIt bandwagon, we've learned that while we were ::almost:: doing it right, but not quite.  

Some things we have learned:
  • Carbs have way too many calories than I'm comfortable with.  BF and I were making homemade scones to bring to work and we calculated it to be close to 400 calories per scone!
  • We have learned portion control.  Even though we cook healthy items, we weren't eating healthy portions.  We also learned our eyes are usually bigger than our stomachs because since cutting down on the portions we find we actually are full!
  • The volume of food we eat is still a big deal for me.  I get giddy eating 4 giant cups of steamed broccoli (176 calories) versus eating less than half of that homemade scone.
  • Calorie counting is way more easy than doing a hardcore diet.  I've done South Beach before and I was miserable because carbs were completely off-limits in the first phase.  With calorie counting, I can still eat all of the things I enjoy but have learned that if I eat that 500 calorie Sprinkles cupcake I probably can't eat anything else for the rest of the day if I want to lose weight.
  • Meal planning is a huge lifesaver.  We've built a great repretoire of meals utilizing our slowcooker.  We buy all of our groceries on Sunday and list out our planned meals so we know what to expect.  It keeps us from slacking and heading to In-N-Out or grabbing takeout Chinese.  Having a routine really works for us!
What are your experiences with LoseIt?

3 comments:

  1. I, too, love gorging myself on broccoli knowing how great it is for me!

    I was astounded when I saw the calorie labels at Panera when I went in after the new year. SHOCKED! And I cannot, in good faith, even tempt myself to buy one of the insanely calorie laden temptations. Knowledge really is power in these situations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well you know what my experiences are but just like you, I'm wayyyy more excited to eat a bucketload of veggies than half a pastry! It's sad to realize that counting calories ultimately means less refined carbohydrates...well, sad, but happy.

    Ultimately, education is power, right? My husband had a Costco chocolate muffin at a meeting the other day and made me look up the calories... 700!!!!! BAHHHHHHH!!!!

    Congrats on your lifestyle change! I hope you post more about it :)

    ReplyDelete